Volunteers play an essential role in setting up and running successful and fun events throughout the year. With a wide variety of jobs, there is something for every interest and experience level!
We host three large annual events, as well as several smaller gatherings throughout the year. Our smaller events include activities for Earth Day, Endangered Species Day, Pollinator Week and other gatherings throughout the year. Check back here to learn about upcoming events and join in on the fun — as a volunteer, a participant, or (ideally) both!
Volunteer at the Plant Sale
The Edible Plant Sale is an annual Tilth Alliance tradition, our largest fundraiser of the year, a community gathering, a celebration of spring and a plant enthusiast’s delight. In the week leading up to the event and during the weekend, volunteers help with every aspect of the sale, from set-up and plant load-in, to helping shoppers learn about their plant selections and ringing up their purchases, to tear-down after the event.
This year’s sale will be returning to Meridian Playground the weekend of May 7-8. Join our amazing volunteer crew and you’ll get free access to the Early Bird Sale on May 6!
Before Signing Up
- If you are new to volunteering with us, or if it’s been a while, please complete a Volunteer & Intern Registration Form first.
- Review the available volunteer jobs below. Once you’ve decided on a job, sign up!
- Consider attending a virtual Edible Plant Sale training session. The sale runs a little differently each year, and this is our first year back in Wallingford since 2019.
- Required: Ticket Writers and Cashiers are required to attend a training session (there is a special perk for these jobs!)
- Strongly encouraged: Welcome Booth & Entry Gate, Plant Sellers, any Booth support and Floaters.
- Optional, but we’d love to see you: Anyone helping with Set-up or Tear-down before and after the event.
- Add the Early Bird Sale to your calendar. It’s Friday, May 6; 5-7 p.m. at Meridian Playground.
- Check back soon for more volunteer resources and information about this event.
Training Sessions have passed, but a recorded session is available on the Plant Sale Volunteer Resources page. Thank you for volunteering!
Get a brief overview of this year’s Edible Plant Sale at an online training session, and ask any questions you may have about your volunteer job. This session is strongly encouraged for most volunteers. Cashiers and ticket-writers are required to attend.
Plant Sale Volunteer Resources
We want volunteers to feel prepared for their shifts, so we’ve put together some Volunteer Resources for you. Check out general resources for volunteers and shoppers and training manuals for specific jobs, like Cashiers and Ticket Writers.
Pre-Event: Plant Receiving, Set Up & More
Tuesday-Friday, May 3-6
During the Event: Operations & Plant Selling
Friday-Sunday, May 6-8
After the Event: Inventory & Tear-Down
Sunday, May 8
This family-friendly community celebration brings together food demos, craft activities, music and dance performances, children’s storytime and self-guided tours of Rainier Beach Urban Farm & Wetlands. Volunteers help with set up, activities at the event, and tear-down. This year’s event will be held on the farm on September 17.
Washington farmers, researchers, agriculture professionals and others come together for the Tilth Conference every year to share and learn about organic, sustainable and regenerative growing techniques. A limited number of volunteers may be needed to help prepare for the conference in Seattle or to help coordinate at the conference venue.