Teresa’s Collard Greens (vegan)
– Large pot with about 3 qts water
– 2 T salt
– 3 bu collard greens, washed, the thickest part of the stems removed and the rest twisted apart into large pieces
– 1 ½ T cooking oil
– 1 large white onion, diced large (3/4” on a side)
– ½ t salt
– 1 ½ C distilled white vinegar
– 1 T salt
• Start a large pot of water boiling over high heat and add the 2 T kosher salt.
• While waiting for the water to boil, heat a sauté pan over high heat, then add the cooking oil. Add the onions, add the ½ t salt and sauté them until almost browned.
• When the water gets to a rolling boil, reduce heat to a low boil and add the greens. Cook uncovered for 5 minutes, then add the vinegar.
• Continue to cook at a low boil uncovered until about half the water is gone. If you’re in a hurry, you can increase the temperature to a rolling boil, but the collards will turn out tougher.
• When they are done, strain the collards and onions in a colander (preferably a comically large one), toss with the last 1 T salt and serve.