March Edible Plant Sale
Is it really time to garden already? Short answer: yes! March is a great month in the Pacific Northwest to begin planting an edible garden to enjoy all year round. We’re excited to invite you to Tilth Alliance’s March Edible Plant Sale, where you can stock up on spring plant starts and enjoy the festive event atmosphere. The March Edible Plant Sale is on Saturday, March 16, 9 a.m.-3 p.m. at Rainier Beach Urban Farm & Wetlands (5513 S Cloverdale St, Seattle 98118).
Our garden educators have carefully chosen varieties that grow well in our Maritime Northwest climate, so come choose from a wide selection of organically, sustainably and locally grown edible plant starts. Spring is an ideal time to plant because nature takes care of the watering for you and temperatures are warm enough to start tending to our gardens. You will find:
- Easy-to-grow plants for beginners such as lettuce, greens and peas.
- Favorites such as collards, kale, Swiss chard and strawberries.
- Many varieties of onions, ideally suited to plant in spring to maximize leafy growth before bulb formation begins during our long summer days.
- Heirloom plants that will excite more experienced gardeners including Red Express cabbage, Ole Timey Blues collards, Walla Walla onions and Marshall red romaine lettuce.
- Irresistible highlights for foodies include edible flowers, bulbing fennel, purple scallions, Romanesco cauliflower and dozens of culinary herbs.
Shopping the March Edible Plant Sale
- Shopping takes place Sat., March 16; 9 a.m.-3 p.m.
- In-person shopping only — the sale will be held at Rainier Beach Urban Farm & Wetlands (5513 S Cloverdale St, Seattle 98118)
- Accepted payment methods: cash, debit, credit, Fresh Bucks and EBT
Plan your shopping! Review our plant lists before you arrive and create your shopping list. Prices range from $5-15 depending on variety. Most plants are $5-8. Note: these are plants we’ve ordered, but availability is not guaranteed. Sometimes our growers experience crop failures, plants too small to sell, etc.
Getting There, Parking & Where to Enter
Tips for Happy Shopping
- Plan your shopping list in advance. Volunteers will be available to help you find the plants you need.
- The sale is taking place on an urban farm — there is essentially no overhead cover (except at check-out) and most of the pathways are unpaved. Prepare for rain and mud by wearing close-toed shoes you don’t mind getting dirty, bring a rain jacket or umbrella, and wear layers in case it goes from warm and sunny to cold and rainy.
- Bring your wagons, carts, boxes and flats. These items will help you safely transport your plants around the sale. We will have a limited number of plant flats available near the entrance to purchase for $1.
- Prices range from $5-15 depending on variety. Most plants are $5-8.
- Our seasonal farm stand will be selling gardening books, tools and supplies during the Edible Plant Sale. Stock up on everything you need to get your garden growing!
Participating is so fun! Helping hands will be needed to make the sale as enjoyable as possible. There will be a variety of ways to help, from plant care to shopper support.
We love our members! Tilth Alliance members receive a coupon for $5 off — the equivalent of one plant. Keep an eye out for a special email with your coupon as we get closer to the sale.
May Edible Plant Sale
Looking for summer crops like tomatoes and peppers? Join us at our May Edible Plant Sale, Sat. & Sun., May 4 & 5, at the Meridian Playground in Wallingford (4800 Meridian Ave N Seattle 98103). You’ll find an amazing selection of fruits and veggies to choose from, as well as culinary herbs, edible flowers, pollinator plants, and gardening supplies that will help maximize your harvest all year round.
Sponsor an Event
Tilth Alliance is excited to continue our mission of building a better food future by supporting sustainable growing practices, increasing access to nutritious foods, cultivating a food and environment loving community, educating eaters and growers of all ages, and much more! We recognize and value your commitment to our community and would like to invite you to support our mission by becoming a Tilth Alliance Partner.
If you are interested in learning more or have questions about sponsoring a Tilth Alliance event, contact Kala Matzdorf: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Request Wholesale Plants
We often have plants remaining after our plant sales and we would love to offer them to community organizations at their wholesale cost. If you’d like to be contacted regarding leftover plants, please fill out a short contact form.