If your teen or preteen loves gardening and working with younger children, this camp is for them! Junior Counselors will grow their skill as young leaders throughout the week in mentorship with camp staff, facilitating small group activities, and learning what it’s like to teach outdoors, all the while learning about organic gardening and farming. Junior Counselors will earn a Certificate of Leadership upon completion of the camp.
This week’s camp description:
Summer is a wonderful season to learn how to garden. Let’s water, compost, plan, plant, harvest and cook together! There are so many benefits to gardening organically – and it’s tons of fun! We will:
- Dig into the world of growing healthy soil and plants. We’ll even meet our composting worms!
- Explore the garden while discovering the secrets of organic pest control through hands-on scientific investigations.
- Plan next season’s garden! We’ll learn how to save and plant seeds.
- Harvest fruits and veggies to make tasty, nutritious garden snacks!
- Learn how to support healthy ecosystems while growing food and pollinator plants that thrive in our Northwest environment.
- Play games inspired by the garden, create art, and much more!
Junior Counselors will arrive 30 minutes before campers arrive and stay up to 30 minutes after campers depart. This allows time for time to prepare and set up for the events of the day and to wrap up and reflect on the day with the garden educators (built into the times listed).
An orientation will take place before summer camps, consisting of a tour of the farm/garden, a general overview of the Junior Counselor role, leadership training, and some team building activities as we go through a typical camp day! This will give youth an opportunity to get acquainted with each other, the space, and Tilth Alliance staff. Attendance at this orientation is STRONGLY ENCOURAGED. Orientation will take place at the Good Shepherd Center on Wednesday, June 12 from 6–7:30 p.m.
Junior Counselors receive $5 off summer camp T shirts. To redeem, use code JUNIOR5 at checkout.