If your teen or preteen loves gardening and working with younger children, this camp is for them! Junior Counselors will grow their skill as young leaders throughout the week in mentorship with camp staff, facilitating small group activities, and learning what it’s like to teach outdoors, all the while learning about organic gardening and farming. Junior Counselors will earn a Certificate of Leadership upon completion of the camp.
This week’s camp description:
- Calling all makers, crafters and nature lovers! Our Wildcrafters camp will focus on the plants and trees growing around us and how to use them as incredible resources and inspiration for makers of crafts, builds and more. We will:
- Connect with and learn from the teachings of plants and trees.
- Practice nature journaling to inspire our craft.
- Use plant fibers and technology to weave, build and craft functional pieces to take home.
- Create visual botanical art using a variety of paints and natural dyes.
- Learn to work with wood for beading, sculpting and building.
- Build forts using natural building supplies and innovative engineering.
- Work with natural materials to make paper, create nature mobiles, plant pots, bird feeders and more!
- Campers will take home their nature inspired crafts, art and builds for families to enjoy.
Junior Counselors will arrive 30 minutes before campers arrive and stay up to 30 minutes after campers depart. This allows time for time to prepare and set up for the events of the day and to wrap up and reflect on the day with the garden educators (built into the times listed).
An orientation will take place before summer camps, consisting of a tour of the farm/garden, a general overview of the Junior Counselor role, leadership training, and some team building activities as we go through a typical camp day! This will give youth an opportunity to get acquainted with each other, the space, and Tilth Alliance staff. Attendance at this orientation is STRONGLY ENCOURAGED. Orientation will take place at the Good Shepherd Center on Wednesday, June 12 from 6–7:30 p.m.
Junior Counselors receive $5 off summer camp T shirts. To redeem, use code JUNIOR5 at checkout.