If your teen or preteen loves gardening and working with younger children, this camp is for them! Junior Counselors will grow their skill as young leaders throughout the week in mentorship with camp staff, facilitating small group activities, and learning what it’s like to teach outdoors, all the while learning about organic gardening and farming. Junior Counselors will earn a Certificate of Leadership upon completion of the camp.
This week’s camp description:
Come grow with us! This half day preschool camp is a great introduction for any 3–5-year-olds that are beginning to express an interest in the outdoors and beings that grow. Together throughout the week we will:
- Embark on a daily sensory exploration of the garden.
- Take a closer look at soil and who we can find in it.
- Explore seeds of many different shapes, sizes, and colors.
- Learn what plants need and how we can help tend the garden.
- Discover who pollinators are and why they are so important.
- Create arts and crafts inspired by the natural world.
- Play many games and sing songs while we learn what the garden has in store!
Junior Counselors will arrive 30 minutes before campers arrive and stay up to 30 minutes after campers depart. This allows time for time to prepare and set up for the events of the day and to wrap up and reflect on the day with the garden educators (built into the times listed).
An orientation will take place before summer camps, consisting of a tour of the farm/garden, a general overview of the Junior Counselor role, leadership training, and some team building activities as we go through a typical camp day! This will give youth an opportunity to get acquainted with each other, the space, and Tilth Alliance staff. Attendance at this orientation is STRONGLY ENCOURAGED. Orientation will take place at the Good Shepherd Center on Wednesday, June 12 from 6–7:30 p.m.
Junior Counselors receive $5 off summer camp T shirts. To redeem, use code JUNIOR5 at checkout.