If your teen or preteen loves gardening and working with younger children, this camp is for them! Junior Counselors will grow their skill as young leaders throughout the week in mentorship with camp staff, facilitating small group activities, and learning what it’s like to teach outdoors, all the while learning about organic gardening and farming. Junior Counselors will earn a Certificate of Leadership upon completion of the camp.
This week’s camp description:
- Where does our food come from? Let’s learn together in a fun and delicious camp week! During our week together, we will:
- Harvest produce from the garden to prepare fresh and nutritious snacks.
- Trace our food’s journey from seed and soil to our plates, learning about plant lifecycles by studying new and growing crops.
- Use simple and age-appropriate food preparation techniques. We’ll practice chopping, slicing, grating, measuring, and mixing.
- Learn how to read a recipe, think about seasonal availability, and use our senses to explore different flavor combinations.
- Explore soil and compost, meet our worm friends, plant and save seeds, care for the garden, and so much more!
Cooking camps are a smaller group size and have an additional cost for supplies.
Junior Counselors will arrive 30 minutes before campers arrive and stay up to 30 minutes after campers depart. This allows time for time to prepare and set up for the events of the day and to wrap up and reflect on the day with the garden educators (built into the times listed).
An orientation will take place before summer camps, consisting of a tour of the farm/garden, a general overview of the Junior Counselor role, leadership training, and some team building activities as we go through a typical camp day! This will give youth an opportunity to get acquainted with each other, the space, and Tilth Alliance staff. Attendance at this orientation is STRONGLY ENCOURAGED. Orientation will take place at the Good Shepherd Center on Wednesday, June 12 from 6–7:30 p.m.
Junior Counselors receive $5 off summer camp T shirts. To redeem, use code JUNIOR5 at checkout.