If your teen or preteen loves gardening and working with younger children, this camp is for them! Junior Counselors will grow their skill as young leaders throughout the week in mentorship with camp staff, facilitating small group activities, and learning what it’s like to teach outdoors, all the while learning about organic gardening and farming. Junior Counselors will earn a Certificate of Leadership upon completion of the camp.
This week’s camp description:
Join us for our newest nature camp that is all about wildlife in our urban gardens and natural spaces! Gain a deeper understanding of the garden as a wildlife haven during our time together. We will:
- Discover the magical world of birds, bird watching, and bird calls.
- Learn about animal signs and prints in nature.
- Explore who occupies the many habitats and ecosystems at the Good Shepherd Center.
- Take a closer look at the hidden world of invertebrates through compost and soil investigation.
- Create garden habitat and food for pollinators!
- At the end of the week, campers will have a chance to become Tilth W.I.L.D (Wildlife Invertebrate Land Discovery) certified.
Junior Counselors will arrive 30 minutes before campers arrive and stay up to 30 minutes after campers depart. This allows time for time to prepare and set up for the events of the day and to wrap up and reflect on the day with the garden educators (built into the times listed).
An orientation will take place before summer camps, consisting of a tour of the farm/garden, a general overview of the Junior Counselor role, leadership training, and some team building activities as we go through a typical camp day! This will give youth an opportunity to get acquainted with each other, the space, and Tilth Alliance staff. Attendance at this orientation is STRONGLY ENCOURAGED. Orientation will take place at the Good Shepherd Center on Wednesday, June 12 from 6–7:30 p.m.
Junior Counselors receive $5 off summer camp T shirts. To redeem, use code JUNIOR5 at checkout.