If your teen or preteen loves gardening and working with younger children, this camp is for them! Junior Counselors will grow their skill as young leaders throughout the week in mentorship with camp staff, facilitating small group activities, and learning what it’s like to teach outdoors, all the while learning about organic gardening and farming. Junior Counselors will earn a Certificate of Leadership upon completion of the camp.
This week’s camp description:
Farm stands are a summer staple! For this weeklong camp, we will learn about what makes our local urban farming community so special. Campers will meet the staff behind the Rainier Beach Urban Farm & Wetlands Farm Stand and learn about the work that goes into making it accessible to our community. During our time together, we will:
- Care for our children’s garden by watering, planting, seed saving, and weeding.
- Harvest fresh summer produce from the children’s garden to cook fresh garden snacks.
- Use simple and age-appropriate food preparation techniques.
- Engage in collaborative projects by working together to create our very own group farm stand.
- Interview our farm stand staff to help inform our own farm stand decision-making.
- Practice marketing design and entrepreneurship skills.
- At the end of the week, families and friends are invited to “shop” and experience the youth farm stand.
Cooking camps are a smaller group size and have an additional cost for supplies.
Junior Counselors will arrive 30 minutes before campers arrive and stay up to 30 minutes after campers depart. This allows time for time to prepare and set up for the events of the day and to wrap up and reflect on the day with the garden educators (built into the times listed).
An orientation will take place before summer camps, consisting of a tour of the farm/garden, a general overview of the Junior Counselor role, leadership training, and some team building activities as we go through a typical camp day! This will give youth an opportunity to get acquainted with each other, the space, and Tilth Alliance staff. Attendance at this orientation is STRONGLY ENCOURAGED. Orientation will take place at Rainier Beach Urban Farm and Wetlands on Thursday, June 13 from 6–7:30 p.m.
Junior Counselors receive $5 off summer camp T shirts. To redeem, use code JUNIOR5 at checkout.