If your teen or preteen loves gardening and working with younger children, this camp is for them! Junior Counselors will grow their skill as young leaders throughout the week in mentorship with camp staff, facilitating small group activities, and learning what it’s like to teach outdoors, all the while learning about organic gardening and farming. Junior Counselors will earn a Certificate of Leadership upon completion of the camp.
This week’s camp description:
- There are few things in life more rewarding and delicious than eating a fresh, homegrown meal. In this camp, we will get to know the foods growing in our gardens. These foods will be our muses as we explore a variety of recipes to create a garden inspired meal. We will:
- Spend the week exploring the stories of our food, the relationship between humans, garden ecosystems, and sustainable local food systems.
- Using safe cooking techniques, campers will practice chopping, slicing, grating, measuring, and mixing.
- Learn how to read and craft a recipe while thinking about seasonal availability and different flavor combinations.
- Steward and care for our food growing spaces through garden care and farmwork.
- At the end of the week, we invite families to come and enjoy the garden to table experience. This camp is perfect for the budding young chef!
Cooking camps are a smaller group size and have an additional cost for supplies.
Junior Counselors will arrive 30 minutes before campers arrive and stay up to 30 minutes after campers depart. This allows time for time to prepare and set up for the events of the day and to wrap up and reflect on the day with the garden educators (built into the times listed).
An orientation will take place before summer camps, consisting of a tour of the farm/garden, a general overview of the Junior Counselor role, leadership training, and some team building activities as we go through a typical camp day! This will give youth an opportunity to get acquainted with each other, the space, and Tilth Alliance staff. Attendance at this orientation is STRONGLY ENCOURAGED. Orientation will take place at the Good Shepherd Center on Wednesday, June 12 from 6–7:30 p.m.
Junior Counselors receive $5 off summer camp T shirts. To redeem, use code JUNIOR5 at checkout.