If your teen or preteen loves gardening and working with younger children, this camp is for them! Junior Counselors will grow their skill as young leaders throughout the week in mentorship with camp staff, facilitating small group activities, and learning what it’s like to teach outdoors, all the while learning about organic gardening and farming. Junior Counselors will earn a Certificate of Leadership upon completion of the camp
This week’s camp description:
As botanical artists, the garden will guide us in creating beautiful and unique works of art! Our garden will provide both inspiration and materials for artistic expression. Together, we will:
- Use natural garden materials to create pressed flower crafts and fragrant salves, dyes, and teas.
- Learn about plant technologies while weaving willow crowns and building sculptures.
- Experiment with watercolor paints, colored pencils, and oil pastels to create botanical art.
- Use our senses to explore the garden. We’ll learn about animal habitats, plant lifecycles, and culinary arts.
- Develop our reciprocal relationship with the garden and practice caring for it in thanks for the garden’s gifts. We’ll use real tools to water, plant, turn soil, weed, and save seeds.
On the final day of camp, we will turn the garden into a celebration of our artwork, displaying our art in a gallery for families to enjoy.
Junior Counselors will arrive 30 minutes before campers arrive and stay up to 30 minutes after campers depart. This allows time for time to prepare and set up for the events of the day and to wrap up and reflect on the day with the garden educators (built into the times listed).
An orientation will take place before summer camps, consisting of a tour of the farm/garden, a general overview of the Junior Counselor role, leadership training, and some team building activities as we go through a typical camp day! This will give youth an opportunity to get acquainted with each other, the space, and Tilth Alliance staff. Attendance at this orientation is STRONGLY ENCOURAGED. Orientation will take place at the Good Shepherd Center on Wednesday, June 12 from 6–7:30 p.m.
Junior Counselors receive $5 off summer camp T shirts. To redeem, use code JUNIOR5 at checkout.