Farm stands are a summer staple! For this weeklong camp, we will learn about what makes our local urban farming community so special. Campers will meet the staff behind the Rainier Beach Urban Farm & Wetlands Farm Stand and learn about the work that goes into making it accessible to our community. During our time together, we will:
- Care for our children’s garden by watering, planting, seed saving, and weeding.
- Harvest fresh summer produce from the children’s garden to cook fresh garden snacks.
- Use simple and age-appropriate food preparation techniques.
- Engage in collaborative projects by working together to create our very own group farm stand.
- Interview our farm stand staff to help inform our own farm stand decision-making.
- Practice marketing design and entrepreneurship skills.
At the end of the week, families and friends are invited to “shop” and experience the youth farm stand.
Cooking camps are a smaller group size and have an additional cost for supplies.