- This event has passed.
Fundamentals of Organic Gardening in North Seattle
Want to grow your own food but don’t know where to begin? Learn how to start your organic garden, and continue caring for your crops, so you can eat fresh, healthy food year-round.
This day-long, 4.5 hour workshop is an introduction to fundamental organic gardening topics and includes a conversational lecture in the morning, followed by an outdoor, hands-on class in the garden in the afternoon. You’ll leave with the knowledge you need to confidently prepare your beds and start your organic garden from seeds or starts.
Topics in this class include:
- What is organic gardening?
- Understanding healthy soil
- How to design and map your garden
- Choosing crops to grow year-round
Activities in this class include:
- Cultivating and amending garden beds
- Planting seeds and transplants
- Discussion of continued care of plants
- Tour of garden to observe plant support structures, season extension and a variety of annual and perennial plantings.
This in-person workshop will take place on Saturday, May 20th from 10 a.m.-3 p.m., and will include a half-hour break for lunch. Class size is limited to 15 people and we will be following current public health recommendations. Please dress for the weather and be prepared for outdoor activities.