- This event has passed.
Comprehensive Organic Gardening
Ready to dig deeper into organic gardening? Learn everything you need to know to create a bountiful urban garden in this complete introduction to the dynamic world of organic gardening.
This intensive and fun hybrid course includes a mix of online and in-person classes, totaling 23 hours of instruction. Through a combination of four online sessions over Zoom and three hands-on sessions in the garden, we will engage in dynamic and experiential learning. Participants will gain a richer understanding of how to support a healthy ecosystem while managing a productive organic vegetable garden. Students also enjoy getting to know a growing community of fellow edible gardening enthusiasts. Leave fully equipped to take the next steps in creating an abundant urban garden and producing food for you and your community!
Dates are as follows:
- Thursdays on Zoom; 6-8 p.m. on 9/15, 9/22, 9/29 and 10/6
- Saturdays at Bradner Gardens Park in South Seattle; 10 a.m.- 3 p.m. on 9/17, 9/24 and 10/1
In this class, you will learn about:
- Garden planning and crop rotation
- Soil building techniques including compost, cover crops and mulch
- Understanding soil testing, fertilizers and other amendments
- Preparing garden beds for planting
- Planting seeds and starts into garden beds
- Growing your own plant starts indoors
- Managing pests and diseases organically
- Extending the season and growing crops over the winter months
- Seed saving basics
Class fee includes a copy of Tilth Alliance’s Maritime Northwest Garden Guide and comprehensive digital course materials. Upon completing this 23-hour course, students are awarded Tilth Alliance’s certificate of completion.
Beginning gardeners ready to dive into an intensive program are welcome, along with people who have some gardening experience. This class is limited to 20 participants in order to provide everyone with a safe and comfortable experience! Saturday in-person sessions will be held outdoors rain or shine and we will be following up-to-date public health guidelines. Please read our FAQs here.