- This event has passed.
Community Kitchen Dinner: Ramadan Celebration
Join the Rainier Beach Community Kitchen for a special evening event partnered with Wasat, a local Muslim-American non-profit, and Masakan, a Malaysian food pop-up and catering business. Come learn about Ramadan and the roles of stewardship in the Muslim faith with Wasat’s Stewardship & Sustainability Director Rhamis Kent. Participants will be honored with a chance to engage in sacred traditions and the chance to enjoy a delicious meal designed by Safira Ezani and Mas Puteh of Masakan.
Be prepared to participate in various activities and learning before the meal commences at 8 p.m. with sunset.
- 7-7:30 p.m. — Khalifah Stewardship Talk with Rhamis Kent
- 7:30-7:45 p.m. — Reflection Walk
- 7:45-8 p.m. — Breaking the fast with dates and room for prayer
- 8 p.m. — The meal is served at sunset
- Side: Jelatah (spicy sweet pickled salad). Cucumbers, cabbage, bell peppers, carrots, red onion, pineapple and jalapenos.
- Main Dish: Kari Ayam (Malay style chicken curry). Lemongrass, potatoes and carrots.
- Rice: Nasi Minyak (fragrant rice with onions, garlic, and ginger). Includes dried spices like cardamom, cinnamon and star anise.
- Dessert: Bingka-ubi (chewy baked cassava bars). Grated cassava and coconut milk.
What to Expect
- Following public health guidelines, masks are optional and proof of vaccination is not required.
- We will limited indoor space and additional outdoor, covered areas. Please dress for warmth and comfort.
- Following tradition, most seating will be on carpets on the ground. Tables and chairs will also be available.
- Everyone is welcome, invite friends and family to share a meal with us! Suggested donation of $3/person or $10/family, but no one will be turned away for lack of funds.
- Onsite parking is available, but we encourage visitors to walk, bike or take the bus, if possible.