- This event has passed.
Beginner Beekeeping 101
Thinking about keeping honeybees but not sure what it would entail? In this workshop, we’ll explore the basics of urban beekeeping and what to consider before taking on your own hive. This class can be taken on its own, or paired with Beginner Beekeeping 201. If you wish to begin beekeeping this year, we strongly encourage you to attend both classes.
Topics covered in this session will be:
- A brief history of the human relationship with bees
- Basic honey bee biology and life cycle
- Creating a bee-friendly habitat
- City and state regulations for keeping bees
- Hive placement and equipment
- Protective equipment and general bee safety
- Ordering bees and installing them in the hive
This class will include an engaging lecture, with opportunities for questions & discussion. It will take place indoors, in a room with an air filter and with windows and doors open for good ventilation. Class size is limited to about 15 people, and we will be following current public health recommendations. Please dress for the weather.
*If class is full, you can join the waitlist here.