Spring Garden Season Kicks off With Our March Edible Plant Sale
Stock Up on Organic Plants, Supplies and Garden Info at Rainier Beach Urban Farm & Wetlands
Gardeners love spring! Yet many gardeners wait until later in the season to start planting. By getting a head start and planting in early spring, you can increase the amount of food you can grow and harvest throughout the year. It’s also a great opportunity for new gardeners to jumpstart their gardening journey and grow their own food successfully.
Tilth Alliance’s March Edible Plant Sale is a great place to kick off gardening season for new and experienced gardeners. This event offers a large selection of organically, sustainably and locally grown spring edible plant starts, from veggies, herbs and fruits to edible flowers. It’s on Saturday, March 18, 9 a.m.-3 p.m. at Rainier Beach Urban Farm & Wetlands, 5513 S. Cloverdale St, Seattle 98118.
Dig Into Growing Food
Tilth Alliance is known for its educational programs for adults and kids in sustainable urban agriculture. At this sale, gardening tips will be available, and educators will be available to answer questions — making it easy for shoppers to make plant selections and learn basic gardening information. Gardening books and supplies will also be available.
What Makes the Plants Special?
Plants at the March Edible Plant Sale are grown locally using organic and sustainable practices — healthy for eaters, growers and the earth. Proceeds from this sale benefit Tilth Alliance’s innovative educational garden, farm, food and environmental programs. Explore our work.
The plant selection includes:
- Easy-to-grow plants for beginners such as lettuce, greens and peas.
- Favorites such as collards, kale, Swiss chard and strawberries.
- 7 varieties of onions, ideally suited to plant in spring to maximize leafy growth before bulb formation begins during our long summer days.
- Heirloom plants that will excite more experienced gardeners including Red Express cabbage, Ole Timey Blues collards, Walla Walla onions and Marshall red romaine lettuce.
- Irresistible highlights for foodies include edible flowers, bulbing fennel, purple scallions, Romanesco cauliflower and dozens of culinary herbs.
- Pollinator plants to support ecosystem and agriculture health.
The March Edible Plant Sale is at Rainier Beach Urban Farm and Wetlands, a beautiful 10 acre urban community farm in the heart of Rainier Beach neighborhood. Community members are invited to get involved to help make this event a success!
- Volunteer. Over 150 community members lend a hand and enjoy snacks and teamwork.
- Support our education programs. Add a donation at checkout or make a donation online to support Tilth Alliance.
- Join our Facebook event and help spread the word.